Frequently Asked Questions About Eviction Protection and the CARES Act

Q1: Who is eligible for eviction protection?

A. The Center for Disease Control issued a federal eviction moratorium which is in effect from September 4, 2020 to June 30, 2021. The temporary moratorium on evictions extends protections to tens of millions of renters at risk of eviction for nonpayment of rent during the global pandemic.

To be protected, qualified renters facing eviction should immediately provide signed declaration to their landlords. For more details about the moratorium and a sample declaration that renters can use, read NLIHC's and NHLP's Overview of National Eviction Moratorium and our National Eviction Moratorium: FAQ for Renters [Español]. The declaration can be found in these languages:

Arabic | Burmese | Simplified Chinese | Russian | Somali | Spanish | Tagalog | Vietnamese | Creole | English | Hmong | Punjabi (Gurmukhī) | Traditional Chinese

Q2: What should I do if my landlord isn't complying with the federal moratorium?

A. Renters who believe their landlord is out of compliance with these provisions should contact their local legal aid organization. You can locate your local legal aid organization here.

Q3: Is there any other assistance provided that will actually lower rental payments?

A. In response to COVID-19 and its economic fallout, many cities and states are creating or expanding rental assistance programs to support individuals and families impacted by the pandemic. You can use NLIHC’s interactive map and searchable database to find state and local emergency rental assistance programs near you. You can also see the latest news on rental assistance programs through the state-by-state news tracker. Note that this is not a comprehensive list of all rental assistance programs as we continue to update frequently.

Renters already receiving federal rental assistance can request an income recertification at any time to adjust their rent payment to account for any loss of income. Renters receiving federal rental assistance should contact their local public housing agency or landlord immediately to request an income recertification or a hardship exemption if they have experienced a loss of income.

Q4: Is my city or state providing additional eviction relief to renters and foreclosure relief to homeowners?

A. Some cities and states are offering eviction and foreclosure moratoriums to all renters and homeowners during the COVID-19 pandemic. For a list of states and cities with eviction and foreclosure moratoriums, visit Eviction Lab's COVID-19 Housing Policy Scorecard. For additional information on the court, gubernatorial, and legislative actions taken in response to COVID-19 that impact evictions and foreclosures, visit here.

Q5: Where can I locate information on health and social services in my community?

A. 211 is a free service that connects people to health and human services in their community. Dial 211 or search for your local 211 branch here. Connect by Winn Companies is another tool that allows you to search for services, resources, and community partners to meet your housing, health, employment, education, economic mobility, and community engagement needs in your community. If you're in need of housing assistance, you can find your local Public Housing Authority (PHA) here. Additionally, the local office of your Congressional representative may also be able to connect you to resources in your community. At the same time, you can make them aware of the housing needs in your area. You can use this site to find your Representative’s contact information.